Monday, October 26, 2009

Holly racen in the mud
















Hi all how you doin? I had a long weekend trying the race each day thing which is a bit hard on old peeps. Saturday was a staler day in Salem on a old golf coerce with out any pavement. Just grass ,sand and pathways of loose grave. The temp was great with plenty of sunshine,after raining all the day before.






The numbers in each race where alot like Montana. I had maybe 12 in the young 50+ Steve Yene a well known road and cross racer was there with a few other very strong riders and even the organiser of the tour of the Walla Walla Steve Rep






Things went out fast and I was drooped by Steve Y. in a hurry so holding second was what it looked like it might be especially when after catching B-35+ riders you would be blocked some time more than the front rider. But 3 laps in the man looses some throttle and I pull up for a while then manage getting gap threw a sand trap and away I went for the next few laps to the win. That with some bigger rides and some cross practice paid off.






I hooked up with some friends I meant in Tucson last year and stayed in Portland which is so hip especially on the east side of the river. We did some a promotion party for a magazine called Wend that is mostly athletic story and picture descriptive..Well they had free good wine and beer which we all no isn't the best recovery way.






So for real we do get home and in bed by ten with a six thirty am. up and depart from the house to the Cross Crusade venue in Hilsburo fair grounds to get a good spot around the coerce and believe this is a most with 1,300 to 1,400 races and any were from 500 to a thousand spectators who get on the crazy side often.





The youngsters again for me 69 riderstried doing thing you always do at the start get up to the front but on this very muddy and grease like traction alot of the time I started losing touch with the top 15 right a way. I no more than was sort of getting the mud thing then I was in a front wheel slide and down with ten feet or so of body slide, they go bye bye again. So towards the last third and we are running into many of the 120 B 35+ riders who started 2 mins. ahead of us I get bumped on like the only mild down hill and slide out and to top that guy gives me the WWO wrestling fly body slam,I so stars and shit then just like that got up and just wanted to chase peeps down again.Guess I had some testy goin on,ribs head and neck hurt after the driney went away. So just when I am getting this slick city tricky corning gig out it's over. I ended up 5th which was a big shock thinking I was way furhter back.





So with my venture into the world of crasy numbers and very festive peeps wearing some nothing or something very spectacular and colorful. I would highly recommend this venue just to experience,race or both....Good fun...















No comments: